Vision, Mission, Functions and Core Values
The Vision of the Assembly is, ‘To become a highly professional socio-economic services provider that creates opportunities for human resources development and the
Mission Statement; is ‘The Assembly exist to facilitate the improvement and the quality of life of the people in the Municipality through the provision of basic social services and promotion of socio economic development within the context of good governance.
The following are the Core Values of the Assembly; Teamwork, Excellence, Dedication, Discipline, Client Oriented and Timeliness. These are the values that make the Assembly excel since its creation in 2004.
The Assembly derives its Functions from the Local Governance Act (2016), Act 936 which maintains that the Minister of Local Government shall, by legislative instrument, establish a District Assembly for each district, municipality and metropolis as the highest political authority in the district.
The law maintains according to section 12 sub-section one that a District Assembly shall exercise political and administrative authority in the district; promote local economic development; and provide guidance, give direction to and supervise other administrative authorities in the district as may be prescribed by law. Hence a District Assembly shall exercise deliberative, legislative and executive functions. The Assembly shall be;
- Be responsible for the overall development of the district;
- Formulate and execute plans, programmers and strategies for the effective mobilization of the resources necessary for the overall development of the district;
- Promote and support productive activity and social development in the district and remove any obstacles to initiative and development;
- sponsor the education of students from the district to fill particular manpower needs of the district especially in the social sectors of education and health, making sure that the sponsorship is fairly and equitably balanced between male and female students;
- Initiate programmes for the development of basic infrastructure and provide municipal works and services in the district;
- Be responsible for the development, improvement and management of human settlements and the environment in the district;
- In co-operation with the appropriate national and local security agencies, be responsible for the maintenance of security and public safety in the district;
- Ensure ready access to courts in the district for the promotion of justice;
- Act to preserve and promote the cultural heritage within the district;
- Initiate, sponsor or carry out studies that may be necessary for the discharge of any of the duties conferred by this Act or any other enactment; and
- Perform any other functions that may be provided under another enactment
Date Created : 11/17/2017 8:50:15 AM
- District Sublinks
- Other Links
- Other Officers