Dusty road at Diamond Cement set for construction
The dusty road leading to the operating site of Diamond Cement at Bokro in the Ahanta West Municipality of the Western region has been approved for construction.
Date Created : 11/30/2021 12:00:00 AM : Story Author : Graphic Online
Clouds of dust that regularly emanate from the road have been the source of bitter complaints by members of the community and other businesses operating in the area for some time now.
The Western regional directorate of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), has said about 70 per cent of the dust was due to the road, contrary to previous fears by the community that it resulted from direct operations of the cement factory. The other 30 percent of the pollution may be attributed to other sources, according to the EPA, and that after the construction the situation will normalise.
The company said, construction of less than one kilometre road to the factory should not be too much of an undertaking; however it had been delayed owing to approval processes at the Urban Roads Department of the Roads and Highways Ministry.
Speaking at a press conference, the Regional Director of the EPA, Mr. George Diawuoh said his outfit has been working with all stakeholders and that the approval for Diamond Cement to construct the road has been given.
He said the quest to construct the road was sent three years ago but the approval delayed until the Western regional minister intervened leading to the approval recently.
“Constructing the truck terminal will ensure haulage trucks do not park by the road” he added.
The Group Human Resource Manager of Diamond Cement, Mrs Ellen A. Jonah said the company is conscious of the environment, health and safety of its host communities and other companies within the enclave.
The company, she said, remained committed to its policies and best operating practices tailored towards enhancing the competitiveness of a company while simultaneously advancing the economic and social conditions of its host communities.
She said the company would continue to operate as a good corporate citizen for the mutual benefit of all stakeholders as well as maintaining industrial harmony with neighbors.