The Wassa Traditional Fiase Land cuts across two Districts, namely Wassa West District and the Mpohor Wassa East District.
The traditional capital of the area is Benso and that is where we have the stool of the Omanhene. For administrative purposes, however the capital has been moved to Tarkwa which is also the administrative capital.
Under the traditional set-up, we have the Omanhene as the head, supported internally by the Queen Mother and the Abusuapanyin who is the head of the Royal Family. Directly under the Omanhene, are the Adontenhene who also, serves as the Tutuhene, the Adviser to the Omanhene the Nifahene (Right Wing Chief), and the “Benkumhene” (Left Wing Chief). These three chiefs’ form what is known as the “Nkukusa” (The three Big Stools)
In all, there are thirty-nine (39) Divisional chiefs serving under the Omanhene. Under these divisional chiefs are the Sub-chiefs (Odikros) who are directly accountable to the Divisional Chiefs who in turn pay allegiance to the Omanhene.
It is also important to note that, at the Wassa Fiase Traditional Council, the Divisional Chiefs serve under two main divisions, that is, the Gyase and the Asamanfo Divisions. There are eighteen Divisional chiefs serving under the Asamanfo Division whilst twenty-one of them serve under the Gyase Division.
Atittude and Practices of the People
The people have on record any negative practices that measures to the level of the “Trokosy” and others that have been publicly denounced.
However, practices such as child Labour which can be aptly described as either a national or continental problem persists in the Municipality.
History has it that, formerly some of the big communities in the Municipality were celebrating annual festivals which served as rallying points for the mobilization of the people for development. Most of the communities were celebrating the “Odwira” Festival which has become defunct of late. In the whole of the Wassa, it is only the Dompim Community that currently celebrates “Akpa” festival.
Like other Assembly’s in the country, it has its fair share of conflicts which emanates mostly from chieftaincy disputes. Such disputes normally engulf the citizens and finally results in conflicts.
The people of Wassa are Akans and take to the general culture of Akans but with some minor differences as pertains in other Akan Societies
Ethnicity and Religion
The dominant tribe is the Wassaws who happen coincidentally to be the indigenous people. They constitute 43 percent, while other tribes notably, Ahanta, Fantis, Brong, Ewe Ga, Kokombas among other make up the remaining 57% of the population. The Moslem population forms 6.6 percent and traditional religion only 1.4 percent. It stands crystally clear that; Christianity is the predominant religion.
The Assembly was establish by legislative instrument 1385 as one of the 110 Assembly’s, country wide prescribed by the 1992 constitution and the Local Government Law 1991 Act 462. It is the highest political authority in the Assembly vested with powers to deliberate, legislate plan and develop through the preparation and effective implementation of development plans and budget.
Act 480 for 1994 the National Development Planning System, entreats the Assembly to formulate programmes, strategies and projects and see to the implementation, monitoring and evaluation, using available resources.
The Assembly can be compared to parliament as a legislative body making byelaws . An administrative and political head and the heads of the administration, the institutional set up are indicated in the figures below.
Tourism development was identified as one sector that holds the key to reduction poverty and rapid development .
Date Created : 11/21/2017 5:07:44 AM
- District Sublinks
- Other Links
- Other Officers
- Saboba: Compensation 2022