The 2010 Population and Housing Census gathered information on agricultural households, locality and farming activities. An agricultural household is where at least one member of the household is engaged in an agricultural activity either for sale or family gain. Agricultural activities specified are crop farming, tree planting, livestock rearing and fish farming. Some households are engaged in multiple agricultural activities.

Households in Agriculture

Table 7.1 shows the distribution of households engaged in agricultural activities by locality of residence in the district in 2010. Almost three quarters (74.5%) of the households are engage in agricultural activities. About 92.2 percent of the agricultural households are in rural locality and the remaining 7.8 percent are in urban locality. In rural locality, 76.4 percent of the households are engaged in agricultural activities compared with 94.3 percent of households in urban locality.

About 97.2 percent of the agricultural households are engaged in crop farming, 24.0 percent are in livestock rearing, 0.3 percent are engaged in fish farming and 0.1 percent are in tree planting. The proportion of households engaged in livestock rearing in rural locality is 23.6 percent compared with 29.2 percent in urban locality. The proportion of households engaged in fish farming in rural locality is 0.3 percent compared with 0.8 percent of households in urban locality; and 0.1 percent each of rural and urban households are engaged in tree planting.

Types of Farming Activities

Table 7.1 shows the size of households by agricultural activities by type of locality. In the Juaboso District, 9,596 households are engaged in agriculture. There are two main agricultural activities in the district namely, crop farming and livestock rearing. A high proportion of households are mainly engaged in crop farming (97.2%) in the district. About 24 percent are engaged in livestock rearing while a small percentage are engaged in fish farming (0.3%) and tree planting (0.1%).

Types of livestock and other animals reared

Table 7.2 shows the types of animals reared in the district, the number of keepers and the average animals per keeper. About 68.4 percent of animals reared in the district are chicken, 9.7 are sheep, 7.0 are goats, 1.3 percent are pigs, 1.2 percent are guinea fowls and 1.0 are doves. Beehives and snails are not yet reared in the district. The highest proportion of livestock keepers rear chicken (61.7%), followed by sheep keepers (15.7%), goat keepers (13.0%), duck keepers (2.1%) and pig keepers (1.9%). The proportions of keepers of other livestock are less than 1.0 percent each. The average number of animals per keeper is highest for guinea fowl (38 fowls), followed by chicken (27 birds), Pigs and doves (17 animals each), Cattle (16 animals), and sheep, rabbits and ostrich (15 animals each).

Date Created : 11/20/2017 5:56:47 AM