The only viable opportunity open to the district is in the area of Agriculture. Sawla-Tuna-Kalba District is well-endowed with vast productive agriculture lands with great potentials for the production of root and tubers, cereal crops, legumes industrial crops and also rearing of livestock.

The district exports yams and grains to other regions especially Greater Accra. Cultivation of non-traditional export crops such as cashew is also graining grounds.  The district has a large concentration of economic trees such as shea and mango. 

About 75% of the population is estimated to be either directly or indirectly involved in agriculture teaching, civil service, petty trading and others constitute the remaining 25% of the population. Crop farmers are effectively occupied on their farms during the rainy season (usually six months in a year).

Primary Production

Sawla-Tuna-Kalba District is predominantly agricultural with about 85% of the District economically active population (18-54years) involved in various farming activities. Major food crops cultivated include yam, maize, cassava, sorghum, groundnuts, rice, millet, cowpea, bambara beans and soya beans. It must be stressed that, several farmers do mix cropping. Due to the availability of relatively fertile agricultural lands,

Livestock Performance

Livestock in the early parts of January to February (2005)  experienced harsh conditions as a result of bush fires and draught. Livestock were lean due to inadequate pasture for grazing and water for drinking.The situation improved as a result of the improved soil moisture,  which enhanced regeneration of the natural pasture in March. Livestock performance improved greatly both in growth and weight in the latter part of the period. This was due to abundance of natural pasture and water.

Animal Production

To increase livestock production DADU carried out educational programmes and Demonstration on livestock management in some selected communities. Farmers have started adopting the technology. A farmer in Sawla constructed a housing unit and stocked it with fifty (50) sheep.


Bushfire has always been a threat (year in year out) to agriculture in the district. Sensitization and education on the hazards of indiscriminate bush burning were carried out in this part of the year. In the process, loss of property through bush fire has subsided. DADU embarked on sensitization in communities on the hazards of bushfires. In the process 10 communities; 64 farmers comprising 60 males and 4 females were reached.

Tractor Services

Tractor services have been a problem to the district since the district has only three (3) tractors, to meet farmers demand for services. Due to this farmers had to depend on tractors from Wenchi, WA and Damongo for effective services

Availability of other farm Implements

The district lacks input dealers, however DADU facilitated the acquisition of animal drawn implements (bullock and donkey ploughs, carts, and spare parts) to farmers on hire purchase from the Tamale Implement Factory.

Irrigation Development

The district has a great potential to develop irrigation, which will create employment for the youth. However there is no irrigation development in the district, few farmers who bought soka pumps used them for dry season gardening. The District Assembly in collaboration with DADU in the process of developing some water bodies for irrigation farming.

Farmers were engaged in the following processing activities during the period.

  1. Processing of cassava into gari and chips
  2. Pito brewing
  3. Sheanut processing
  4. Groundnut out extraction

Date Created : 11/18/2017 8:33:57 AM