Water And  Electricity

Winneba and its environs are provided with water from the Winneba. It serves a population of 5,000. It was rehabilitated through a Dutch Government’s Grant to produce over three million gallons of water per day; this caters for the water needs of the people. 
The Municipality is provided with reliable and continuous supply of electricity from VRA/ECG sub-station at Winneba Junction.


There is approximately 100 kilometers of road network in the Municipality but only about 30 percent have been tarred; the remaining 70 percent are untarred with some portions in a terrible state.

Post And Telecommunication

Winneba has a Post Office. A telephone exchange with International Direct Dial (IDD) at Winneba hooks the Municipality to the world. Almost all the cell phone network providers are available in the Municipality. The Municipality also has access to a number of Private Internet Cafes and recently the Ghana Telecom has extended its added Broadband facility to Winneba.

Markets And Banks

The Winneba market runs on a daily basis. The fish-selling center receives patronage from traders in Accra and Agona Swedru among others. Aside of the markets, trading takes place at kiosks, stores and on tables spread across the township. Six banks provided financial support to commercial activities in the Municipality.

These are the Ghana Commercial bank, ADB, Barclays Bank, Akyempim Rural Bank, Emasa Rural Bank and Union Rural Bank. In addition to these, Handiwork of God Enterprise at Winneba provided non-banking financial services within the Municipality. Three credit unions operate in Winneba and in addition there are some private susu collectors and traditional money lenders of the local economy. 

  Postal Services

The major towns in the districts i.e Winneba, Bawjiase, Kasoa, Senya, Awutu all have the services of Ghana Post and the suroundings communities travel to the major towns for postal and allied services.


The capital, Winneba, and other towns  like Kasoa, Bawjiase, have access to Ghana Telecom fixed land line service whilst the networks of three cellular phone services providers cover the district.  (Ghana Telecom’s Onetourch, Scancom’s Areba and Millicom’s Buzz).

The university of Education, Winneba, provides internet services which enable some business centres in the district to offer ICT services to the general public.



Almost all of the over 29 FM radio stations in the capital of the country, Accra cover the district whilst within the district university and a private entity operate an FM station (Radio Peace and Windy Bay).


Four television stations operationg from Accra, Ghana Television, TV3, Metro TV and TV Africa, all have networks covering the municipality.

  Road and Transportation

Roads can be said to be vital aspect of communication. Good roads are prime movers of economic and social development of the people. The majority of the roads in the district are of feeder standards and many of then are in poor condition. In Winneba for instance, there is approximately 100-kilometer roads network and about 70% have been tarred. About 10% is full of potholes and pot hills. The remaining 20% are untarred.

The confestion of Kasoa should be rough to tell us of the need to expand the road network in the district. The road linking Winneba and Senya thought ojobi (35 kilometers) has only 25 kilometers tarred but it is not in good condition. The road to Senta through Kweikrom is also bad. The condition in the whole of Senya is not good to Obrachie also need rehabilitation. The Awutu-Obrachie road links important farming enclaves such as amsamso, Ahintia, Bosomabea, Otapinso, Jeikrodua and Bontrase.The road from Obrachie through Bawjiase to Kasoa also need urgent attention.

Indeed, roads from Obrachie that need urgent rehabilitation are:Bawjiase to Ayensuako 20km; Bawjiase to Offadaa 18km; Ayensuako to Nyarkokwa 25km; Winneba to Senya 35km; Senya to Awutu 19.2km; Awutu to Obrachire 19.2km and Bontrase to Jeikrodua 10 km  However, with the reconstruction of the Accra (Marcarthy Hill Junction) to Yamoransa which passes through the District there is a relief of constant fatal accidents due to the bad nature of the road formerly.


The Municipality have an efficient road transport system. Private service providers are the major players in this sector and include the Ghana Private Road Transport Union (GPRTU), Co-operative Transport union, Progressive Transport owners Association (PROTOA).  They offer Inter and Intra Community bussing services.

The newly established State Metro mass Transit system also complements the already well organized transport network. Taxi Services are in the major towns like Winneba, Kasoa, Bawjiase, Senya, Awutu, Jei Krodua and Obrachire which connects to most of the smaller communities.


Date Created : 11/17/2017 1:41:00 AM