Map is not available
The East Mamprusi District (EMD) was established by Legislative Instrument (LI) 1776 (2004) with the capital located at Gambaga. Gambaga is a historic town lying next to the seat of the Nayiri, king of Mamprugu, and also the first headquarters of the Northern Territories. It is one of the oldest districts in the Northern Region. Out of it, the West Mamprusi District was carved in 1988. In 2004, the Bunkpurugu-Yunyoo District was also created to promote developments. It therefore served as the parent District for West Mamprusi and Bunkpurugu - Yunyoo Districts.
The East Mamprusi District is located in the north-eastern part of the Northern Region. To the north, it shares boundaries with Talensi and Nabdam Districts, Bawku West and GaruTempane Districts, all in the Upper East Region and to the east is the Bunkpurugu-Yunyoo District. It is bordered in the west by the West Mamprusi District and to the south by the Gusheigu and Karaga Districts. It covers a land mass of 1,706.8 square kilometers, representing about 2.2 percent of the total land mass of the region.The population of the district according to 2010 Population and Housing Census stands at 121,009 with 59,453 males and 61,556 females.